Monday, July 8, 2013

Day 28 - "You'll just have to trust us"

So, we met with the sales manager today about our garage issue. He says that he has met with our project manager and that the framers can do some things to get us a few more inches on the garage but he won't know until it's framed. So, we asked what happens if it frames and it still doesn't fit. That's when we got the "you'll just have to trust us on this." Okay.... we  trusted our SR when she told us "I'm sure it will be fine" when we asked about the garage size. We trusted our PM when he said he'd call us weekly to update us on how things are going, and we had to remind him to do this. We trusted them both when they signed off on our preconstruction meeting only to realize several things were checked off and not done.... (They did at least "redo" this meeting.) I could go on... but it's pointless. So, we are supposed to let them start framing and once the garage is framed, we are supposed to check the measurements and see if there is enough space. We asked what happens if it doesn't fit and of course the sales manager said he didn't want to go there. So, we pushed and he basically said we'd lose our deposit if we choose to walk away from it.

I asked about an appraisal issue I'd heard about on the blogs where houses are appraising for less than the price of the home and people have had to take money to closing to cover the difference. He did say with both my husband and I sitting there along with the SR and our two realtors that they would eat the difference if this happens. So, I at least feel better about that.

So... we are still moving forward. Framing is starting Wednesday, hopefully... depending on the weather.

We went to the block party on our street this weekend and not only did we have a good time, but our kids had a blast. So... I hope this can get resolved. I really want this house and more importantly, I want to be happy with it.

3 comments:

  1. That is such a bummer about the garage and I hope they get it fixed for you. It's not possible to pay for a bump out? Or for them to cover the cost of it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really really hope they find a practical resolution for your garage! I know how you may be feeling....With all the issues we had,I wouldn't trust them to take out my trash. But it doesn't have to be that way u know, after reading so many people talk about how successful their relationship has been with their SR and PM team and how much they love their house at the end, I believe you could be very happy with the result. My fingers are crossed for you! Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think if they would offer some sort of compensation if it doesn't fit I would feel better. but he pretty much tried to say it was our fault for not knowing how long our truck was when we signed the papers. He kept saying we needed to take responsibility for the mistake which just made things worse. We are still excited about the house and the neighborhood... just need to get past this stage I guess. I just hope my husband isn't ticked off every time he pulls in the driveway for the next 20 years. On the plus side, I have heard that the warranty guy for our neighborhood is great. So, that was good to hear from the neighbors.

    ReplyDelete